First posted on 10 February 2009
I am an avid reader the New Scientist magazine. This magazine is obviously pro-evolution, and anti-creationism. Well, that’s what you’d think. They actually present very balanced articles on creation and religion, but have very little time for unthinking fundamentalist religion that poo-poos science. Or is just anti-scientific.
I believe that there is a way to harmonise science and religion. I believe that there are great questions that Christians can ask scientists that help us all have excellent conversations about God, creation, eternity and so on. But the way in which many Christians approach science is counter productive, and unhelpful.
Maybe I’ll come back to this issue sometime soon and talk about how I think we can harmonise science and religion. For now, for those of you interested in becoming better acquainted with science and creation, you may find the 24 myths and misconceptions about evolution to be very helpful. This is available from the New Scientist website – click here.
At very least, it will help you stop sounding like a moron when you speak to people who have done some work in scientific fields.
The myths and misconceptions deal with include:
- Everything is an adaptation produced by natural selection
- Natural selection is the only means of evolution
- Natural selection leads to ever-greater complexity
- Evolution produces creatures perfectly adapted to their environment
- Evolution always promotes the survival of species
- It doesn’t matter if people do not understand evolution
- “Survival of the fittest” justifies “everyone for themselves”
- Evolution is limitlessly creative
- Evolution cannot explain traits such as homosexuality
- Creationism provides a coherent alternative to evolution
- Evolution must be wrong because the Bible is inerrant
- Accepting evolution undermines morality
- Evolutionary theory leads to racism and genocide
- Religion and evolution are incompatible
- Half a wing is no use to anyone
- Evolutionary science is not predictive
- Evolution cannot be disproved so is not science
- Evolution is just so unlikely to produce complex life forms
- Evolution is an entirely random process
- Mutations can only destroy information, not create it
- Darwin is the ultimate authority on evolution
- The bacterial flagellum is irreducibly complex
- Evolution violates the second law of thermodynamics
And more… Go check it out now.