ALLin Pod is back after a short break with a two episode mini-series on “God made them male and female”. In this episode we look at the question: “How do you know if you’re male or female?” The answer will surprise you, because it is not nearly as simple as you think it is.
This episode looks at the science, biology and creation facts around gender, sex biology, sexual orientation and a number of other factors that determine male and female. We’ll see that all of these exist on a spectrum, and between 7 and 20% of the population exhibit some mixture of genders based on these factors. In addition to our longest episode yet (at just on an 1 hour), there is a list of highly recommended readings below, and a PDF slide deck to download and follow along.
- Download the PDF slides for the episode here
- https://web.archive.org/web/20220114135249/https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1207834357639139328.html – Thread on genes, hormones, chromosomes and cells.
- https://medium.com/@QSE/the-xx-xy-lie-our-social-construction-of-a-sex-and-gender-binary-4eed1e60e615 The XX & XY Lie: Our Social Construction of a Sex and Gender Binary
- https://youtu.be/kT0HJkr1jj4 – There Are More Than Two Human Sexes
- TED Talk: Alice Dreger: Is anatomy destiny? – this is an old video, and we’ve learnt much since it was recorded, but it is still worth watching
- Only two sex forms but multiple gender variants: How to explain?
- Nature: Sex redefined – The idea of two sexes is simplistic. Biologists now think there is a wider spectrum than that.
- PDF: An introduction to Gender: Chapter 1 – from Stanford
- PDF: The Future of Sex and Gender in Psychology: Five Challenges to the Gender Binary
- https://www.nature.com/news/sex-redefined-1.16943 – The idea of two sexes is simplistic. Biologists now think there is a wider spectrum than that.
- https://www.teenvogue.com/story/gender-variance-around-the-world – a history and geography of gender variance